Hello. My good friend Archie and I have spent this week in the Calais jungle and I'm going to write about it. There are lots of
journalists going in and out of Calais and Dunkerque and it’s easy to find
articles about the camps online, better researched and better written than
this, in case you want to know more. I’m not a journalist; Archie and I are English
teachers and we went over to volunteer for a few days to see
what we could learn and how we could help. I just want to write a little
something about our short but wonderful time in Calais with the residents of
the jungle and with all the other volunteers, both short-term and long-term,
who are doing excellent things in difficult circumstances.
Archie called me a couple of
weeks ago to say he was going to head to Calais and asked if I'd like to join him.
We wanted to be of use and so we played a couple of gigs leading up to the trip
with our political pop band Commie Faggots, encouraging friends to bring along
donations to take over. People were very generous and gave us
tents, sleeping bags, nice warm clothes, food (e.g. cooking oil, tinned chick
peas and the like) and we put a hat around for cash donations. Together with
online contributions we raised £400, with which we visited several budget
supermarkets (having established this as the most efficient way we could use
the money donated) and bought up around 250kg of rice, 100 litres of cooking
oil, 100kg of sugar and lots of other bulk items (UHT milk, tinned food, tomato
puree, salt, pasta etc).
We rented a 5-metre-long white
van and headed down to my home town of Hastings for a show with Captain
Hotknives at the Fountain (great evening!) and then took the van down to Dover
and across to Calais. We spent the first night at an ‘airbnb’ accommodation
with a lovely local couple, Didier and Isabelle, who looked after us very well and
sympathised with our cause. The existence of the jungle has not been easy for
Calais residents, but they were very patient, understanding and encouraging.
They took us for a drive to the sea front where we had some amazing Tunisian
doughnuts (highly recommended) and a mini tour of Calais by night.

On Monday morning we went to a local
budget supermarket to spend the last of the donated money and then, after
getting very lost in Calais, finally found the warehouse. We unloaded all of
the gratefully received donations and got to working with the hundred-odd
volunteers, sorting donated clothes. There is a veritable mountain of assorted apparel
to work through, so we joined a team and sorted men’s from women’s, tops from
trousers, large from medium and small, into big plastic tubs, which were then
emptied by other teams boxing them up over yonder.
On Tuesday we had our morning
meeting in the car park, with some group exercise, updates on the jungle
situation, and words of inspiration for the day, before breaking into teams:
construction, translators, medics, kitchen workers, drivers – an army of
volunteers, to coin a phrase. Archie and I spent the day making up kits ready
for distribution. We were on a sort of assembly line preparing small, medium
and large men’s kits: Grab a bin-liner, fill it with: 1 pair pants (or
long-johns), 2 pairs socks, T-shirt, long-sleeve top, thick jumper, hat, scarf,
gloves and a pre-prepared hygiene kit (including toothpaste, a flannel and so
on). When we ran out of gloves, they got an extra pair of socks. They were
often football socks and scarves and some very strange hats, so there’ll be
some slightly incongruous looking folks walking about the jungle but they’ll
be warm at least.
There is the sense of camaraderie
you’d expect in such a venture – everyone helping everyone. Being half-term,
there were a fair few teachers around, such as Francesca, the Spanish teacher
from Mallorca trying to make it through her PGCE observations next week, and even
some youngsters there, like 14-year-old Harry, discussing his GCSE options
between cutting up and making labels for the kits. We had great fun working
together to the Disney soundtracks playing on the stereo, hunting for
bin-liners or gloves and trying not to step on each other. The clothes are distributed from various points, including a pair of great geodesic domes that would make Bucky Fuller proud. They'll distribute shoes one day, clothes kits another and so on. Thursday was coats, and a good thing too in all that snow!
We headed into the so-called ‘jungle’
for the conversation class at 5pm, held in ‘Jungle Books’ – a little library
and meeting space where people can come for meetings, lessons or conversation
sessions. I spent the first 45 minutes or so with 3 young men from Darfur. They
spoke English quite well and we talked about music and what life is like in Sudan
and in England. They introduced me to some Darfuri music before heading off for
something to eat. I then chatted to a group of Afghan men, who told me about
their journey through Iran, Turkey, Bulgaria, Serbia, Germany and France, often
brutalised by security forces along the way. Mustafa had only just started
learning English, but the others were doing quite well. Most of them speak 3, 4
or 5 languages already, so they learn pretty quickly. I asked them why they had
left Afghanistan and the answer was as you might expect – the Taliban, Daesh –
a lot of lunatics running round blowing things up and killing people. Seemed
like a good reason to leave. In any case they were a lively and positive bunch, keen to chat and improve English skills and teach me some Pashto - Manana! (Thank you)
We were struck by how healthy they
all looked. They are not malnourished or sickly at all. This, it seems, is
thanks to the work of the volunteers, using donations and running the Ashram
Kitchen and Calais kitchen. They are getting good, nutritious food every day –
through the kindness and generosity of the people of France, the UK and other
European countries. It was good to see them looking so well. They have been
through some extraordinarily stressful and frightening experiences, of which
more later, but they seem mentally healthy, as well as physically – we were
laughing and joking together, having a good time. This is quite incredible to
me, all things considered, but it’s a glimmer of hope. They’ve survived the
worst and still have it together. Of course, these were the ones that come
along to the conversation class, the ones who are positive and optimistic and
healthy – how others in the camp are, it’s difficult for me to say, I certainly
saw some men with some very severe injuries but I don’t know how they acquired
them.
We met another man, a Bedouin
from Kuwait. He was alone and evidently quite lonely. He spoke very little
English but was keen to learn and spend time with us. He told us he had been
run over by police back in Kuwait and it had left him blind in one eye with,
not to put too fine a point on it, a facial disfigurement that perhaps
contributed to his isolation. We spent time with him and managed to teach him
some useful phrases (as well as improving my Arabic a little) and it was hard
when he walked us back to the van at the end of the evening, indicating that he
would quite like to come back with us please, with us then having to explain why that
wasn’t possible. He has family all over the world (such is the nature of a
Bedouin, I suppose) but he was desperate just to get to England to see his
brother in Manchester – he couldn’t stop talking about Manchester. I hope he
makes it.
I’ll take a moment aside from the
narrative for a moment, if I may, to talk about someone else I met in the weeks
before all this. I was temping in an office for a few weeks,
partly to pay for the trip. I was working with a man in his 60s with radically
different ideas about the world to my own and it was a fascinating experience.
To give you an idea, he wondered if the world might not be a better place now
if the UK had supported Hitler in the 1930s – 40s, and whether the world
wouldn’t be a worse place if the African slave trade had never happened. You
can make of that what you will, but that’s what I was up against, and I suspect
he is far from alone in his rather , as I perceive it, extreme views. In any case we spent three weeks wrestling on all manner of difficult subjects and it was stimulating and useful to have such arguments with someone I wouldn't normally come into contact with. It was a positive experience as far as that goes, if difficult to listen to sometimes. One issue that naturally came
up in the course of this peculiar exchange was the refugee crisis and the Calais jungle. He said he
thought that it was ‘the best place for them’ (it’s really not, believe me) and
that they were just trying get here to take advantage of our benefits system.
If you, like my erstwhile
colleague, think that this might be the case, and I know a lot of people who
think it is, naturally I would encourage you to pop over to Calais (it’s really
not far) and meet these ‘scroungers’ for yourself. But if you’re prepared to
take my word for it – they are definitely not that. Neither are they a ‘bunch of
terrorists’. Far from it! In the first place, they know very little about the
UK except that it’s a safe and welcoming place, which is what they’ve been told
by the traffickers (who are surely among the real villains of the piece) and reinforced by the fact that the only British and Irish people they've met have been friendly and welcoming volunteers. No matter how many lovely and welcoming French people they meet, the French authorities and the local fascists have already made their mark. I hope they’re not
too disappointed when they get to the UK.
They don’t have ‘benefits’ in Darfur or Afghanistan, and they have never so much as heard of such things. They don’t know what ‘benefits’ are and I think they’ll be shocked when they find out. In any case, they are definitely not trying to get here for that – they want to work, be safe and secure and, one day, if there could only be peace in their countries, return home to their families. Much as they’re excited about a new life in the UK, they’re very home sick and would rather be with their families than here if things could only be a different. The brain-drains resulting from genocide and fascism in some of these places is surely compounding the problems and they all know it and want to rebuild their countries. As to being ‘terrorists’ – these guys have risked everything, many of them dying on the way in horrible circumstances, in order to escape terrorism. They really don’t want to hurt anyone.
They don’t have ‘benefits’ in Darfur or Afghanistan, and they have never so much as heard of such things. They don’t know what ‘benefits’ are and I think they’ll be shocked when they find out. In any case, they are definitely not trying to get here for that – they want to work, be safe and secure and, one day, if there could only be peace in their countries, return home to their families. Much as they’re excited about a new life in the UK, they’re very home sick and would rather be with their families than here if things could only be a different. The brain-drains resulting from genocide and fascism in some of these places is surely compounding the problems and they all know it and want to rebuild their countries. As to being ‘terrorists’ – these guys have risked everything, many of them dying on the way in horrible circumstances, in order to escape terrorism. They really don’t want to hurt anyone.
Don’t believe me? Go and see for
yourself. I’ve never felt safer anywhere. Wandering off alone in the
dark in search of a toilet, climbing through tents and detritus and dodging
rats, the only faces I met in the dark were helpful strangers giving me
directions to the loo. I felt safer in the jungle than I do in London (and I
feel very safe in London by the by).

On Wednesday we went to the
warehouse again, and this time spent the morning chopping wood for distribution
to the camp fires. It was absolutely freezing and the wood was in less than
great shape, but together with a carpenter from Alsace, we made a lot of kindling
and bagged up a lot of fuel. At about 11am we headed into the jungle and found
the school. There is a kids building and another for adults with a sort of
makeshift playground between the two. The building for adults is about the size
you’d expect a classroom to be, with a couple of blackboards and a huge stack
of paper, pens, books and other resources that have been donated. There are
tables and chairs and even a wall of desktop computers powered by a noisy
petrol generator outside and a bunch of solar panels. We found some students
and got to work.
I want to tell you about B,
because he is the person who affected me most in all this. I spent an hour or
so with B, a young nurse from Eritrea. His English was
very good already, but he was still keen to improve, so I did a lesson on
emphasising comparative structures and then ‘extreme adjectives’, which we both
enjoyed very much. He wants to study more when (if) he gets to the UK and work
as a nurse or even as a doctor one day. He was articulate, bright, warm and
good-humoured – he loves reading and writing and the theatre and we agreed
we’d go to the Globe together one day for a bit of Shakespeare.
B is keen to write down all
his experiences, but in the meantime, I asked him if he’d mind my writing down
what he told me about his journey, and he said it was fine, so here goes:
Where to begin? A lot of the
conversations and lessons I had with the people there involved talking about
family. We would show each other photos of our families and learn some vocab on
that subject. B teared up when I asked him to tell me about his family.
‘How many brothers and sisters do
you have?’
‘They’re all gone,’ – moving
quickly away from me to conceal the emotion.
I couldn’t help instantly
thinking about my own family and what it would mean to have to say that about
them. Words fail, but I teared up automatically at the utterance and do so again
now writing it.
I don’t know how it feels for you
reading it second-hand from me, cold and distant from it, but hearing it first
hand from him was appalling: a huge hit of emotion – sympathy, sadness, fear,
anger, disgust, horror, devastation, delivered unexpectedly in 4 short words
and a gesture. ‘They’re all gone!’
But I was there to teach English
so, seeing he didn’t want to say anything more about that, I moved the
conversation on. We got to his wife and one-year-old son back in South Sudan.
‘Is she pretty?’
‘Pretty? She’s absolutely
stunning!’
‘And will you be happy when
you’re all together in England?’
‘Happy? I’ll be absolutely
ecstatic!’
Extreme adjectives – check.
He then volunteered to tell me
about his journey to Calais. Here’s the condensed version:
‘I moved to South Sudan, where my
wife and son are now. Things got really bad there and I decided I had to try to
find somewhere safe for my family. I went to Khartoum for a few weeks and then
on to Chad. After Chad we had to cross the Sahara. It was terrible. There is no
food; no water. Daesh is everywhere. Lots of people died. If they find you,
they shoot you. 300 of us went to cross together but most people died in the
desert. We arrived in Libya and I was arrested and put in prison with 2 friends.
I’m not a criminal, but I was in prison for 2 months. Some people were there
for 10 months. There are no windows, no water or food. It was so hot. I was so
stressed. People tried to escape, but you have to run really fast. If they
catch you, they kill you. I escaped under a car. I crossed the Mediterranean
and made it to Italy. Then I was finally safe. I suppose it was about 6 months
altogether.’
Bill has been in the jungle
for about 3 months now. We didn’t meet anyone who had been there more than
about 5 months, though I daresay there are longer-term residents who just don’t
come to classes. I was grateful for his story and he was grateful for the lesson.
I very much hope we meet again in London sometime soon. The UK has a lot of
amazing nurses, both British and migrant, and we all know how good a job they
do and that we need more of them – more good nurses like Bill. I just hope
there’s still an NHS for him to work for when he gets here…
Our class was interrupted by a
volunteer coming round to give information about the impending eviction. The
French authorities plan to bulldoze the southern half of the jungle (the half
with the schools, churches, mosques, clinics, restaurants, jungle books - a
semblance of civilisation and normality!) next week, leaving only the northern
half of a few over-crowded and underdeveloped basic shelters and little else besides.
They are giving out the eviction notice today, Friday. There is no information
for the residents; no indication of where they might go; Just an eviction
notice.
There is a big police presence
around the camp, but they just sit there, bored witless and uninvolved. We
didn’t speak to them at any time. Their presence is supposed to offer what?
Security for the refugees? The stories of brutality and violence on the part of
the local National Front and the police are horrifying, though I saw no direct
evidence of it myself. The fact is, the police are there in substantial force,
and when eviction time comes, well, I’m glad I won’t be there.
I hope the volunteers and human
rights lawyers in the area can stop it going ahead. If it doesn’t go ahead – it
will be because of their efforts and they should be applauded and supported. If
it does go ahead, well, I don’t know what to tell you!

After our morning with the
Eritreans, Archie and I went off to find lunch. We headed up ‘Queen Elizabeth
II Street’ and into the amazing ‘Hamid Karzai Rastorant’ for an Afghan feast.
We were served several dishes including spinach and chick peas, kidney beans, a
sort of ratatouille, rice, pakora and delicious naan. I couldn’t believe we
were being served such an amazing feast in the ‘jungle’. There are little
corner shops and shisha bars and other restaurants (including the so-named
‘3-Star Hotel’). Don’t get carried away, they are nailed together bits of scrap
materials, very makeshift, but the volunteers and residents have done an
amazing job making something out of nothing.

After lunch we took a turn around
the camp and, after briefly interrupting a rather zealous American preacher
lecturing around 30 Darfuri youngsters in a hidden corner of the camp, we
managed to find the other school on site – L’ecole des arts et metiers. We went
in and found a solitary but enterprising young Ethiopian making shoes next to
the school piano. We had a chat with him for a bit – he was selling his shoes
to make enough money to get over the channel. Nice chap, but completely fluent
in English, so we set off back to the first school to find someone more
desirous of our services. We ran into the Afghan guys we’d seen the previous
night and spent the afternoon with them learning about Afghan geography, as
well as Kurdish geography with an Iraqi Kurd we bumped into. The classrooms
were full so we had our class outside. It was freezing cold but we made the
best of it and did some good teaching and learning.

After our morning with the
Eritreans, Archie and I went off to find lunch. We headed up ‘Queen Elizabeth
II Street’ and into the amazing ‘Hamid Karzai Rastorant’ for an Afghan feast.
We were served several dishes including spinach and chick peas, kidney beans, a
sort of ratatouille, rice, pakora and delicious naan. I couldn’t believe we
were being served such an amazing feast in the ‘jungle’. There are little
corner shops and shisha bars and other restaurants (including the so-named
‘3-Star Hotel’). Don’t get carried away, they are nailed together bits of scrap
materials, very makeshift, but the volunteers and residents have done an
amazing job making something out of nothing.
After lunch we took a turn around
the camp and, after briefly interrupting a rather zealous American preacher
lecturing around 30 Darfuri youngsters in a hidden corner of the camp, we
managed to find the other school on site – L’ecole des arts et metiers. We went
in and found a solitary but enterprising young Ethiopian making shoes next to
the school piano. We had a chat with him for a bit – he was selling his shoes
to make enough money to get over the channel. Nice chap, but completely fluent
in English, so we set off back to the first school to find someone more
desirous of our services. We ran into the Afghan guys we’d seen the previous
night and spent the afternoon with them learning about Afghan geography, as
well as Kurdish geography with an Iraqi Kurd we bumped into. The classrooms
were full so we had our class outside. It was freezing cold but we made the
best of it and did some good teaching and learning.
At 5pm we went back to Jungle
Books for another conversation class with a packed room full of Europeans and
jungle residents, then went back to our hostel for the night. Yesterday morning
we went straight into the camp at 9am for a last look around. It had snowed
quite heavily and there were very few people about so I took some pictures and videos
with my phone. We ran into B and his friends again.
‘Are you cold, Billiam?’
‘Cold? I’m absolutely freezing!’
Good student! We chatted for a
bit, gave them our hats and gloves and a bag of satsumas and had a big hug
goodbye. We had a quick cup of tea in another Afghan joint, stopped by the Ethiopian church to hear the beautiful music emanating from within, then headed back to
the ferry and home. There’s an awful lot to process. It has been an amazing
experience and I strongly encourage others to do the same. You’ll get a lot out
of it, and I think it means a lot to the residents of the jungle to see some
solidarity shown.
Being so harmonious and peaceful a place, the Jungle is a wonderful and
magical place for people like Archie and me to visit for a couple of days,
and apparently a much safer place for young Afghan, Syrian, Kurdish or Darfuri men and women to live than
their war-torn, terrorised, ethnically cleansed home countries. Nevertheless,
the jungle should not exist. I don’t mean it should be bulldozed in the middle
of a snowstorm. I mean that I can’t find a good reason why the 5000 or 7000 or
even 10 000 young men, women and children living in this dirty, cold, fenced
in, police-monitored ‘jungle’ shouldn’t be welcomed into the United Kingdom
with open arms.
I live in London; a city of 10
000 000 human beings. 7000 refugees (for that is what they are, among other
things: seekers of refuge, safety and security and a life worth living) could
be absorbed in a heartbeat and the only ones who’d notice are the residents of
Calais. And that’s not to mention Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow and all the
hundreds of towns and cities across the UK where an extra nurse, or another kebab shop, or an
engineer here and there, could be of so much more use than a lot of frightened
and exhausted young men concentrated and sitting idle in the frozen jungle.
Scroungers? Terrorists? Please,
don’t believe this hateful tabloid pish. Don’t believe me either – go and see
for yourself.
If you want to go and volunteer
or donate cash to the cause, they’re desperate for builders, medics, lawyers, translators,
teachers and anyone who can spare a few days or even just a couple of hours to
peel potatoes or sort clothes and make a contribution. You can find out much
more and get involved through the following websites:
Thanks again to everyone who
donated food, clothes and cash for us to take. We’ll let you know next time
we’re going.
David Shewry
19/02/2016
Listen here: to hear Commie Faggots' Welcome Here, written and produced by Commie Faggots front man Archie Shuttlebrace of the above photos.




No comments:
Post a Comment